Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Chapter 6 - Deacon/Faith - Conjuring Ideas

 


Chapter 6 - Deacon - Conjuring Ideas


Deacon, Nottingham, 1121 A.D.


“I’ve completely screwed this whole thing up for them.” Noah had been beating himself up for days. Even Kara had come to Camelot to try and lure him back to the church. Nothing seemed to be working to appease his broken heart.


“Give yourself a break,” Kara said. It wasn’t your fault. I could break that Robin kid’s neck.” She clenched her fists.


“No need for violence. We’re going to figure this out,” Merlin said. “You are already undercover, Noah. Or should I call you Detective Cornelius? Why don’t we just conjure you a new face, Kara too so you can be around them and help protect them but they won’t know it is either of you.


“I don’t know.” Noah was uneasy about further manipulating Faith. She’d already been through so much. “When Roanna took that veil of illusion off of me, I could have kicked myself.”


“Understandable. We were all deceived. But it further affects you since you wanted the King Arthur mantle so much plus you also love her. Kind of complicates things for your emotions,” Merlin said. “You did accomplish one thing for our team. Jax came back to help. He’s actually really excited about this.”


“He’s on leave from the airline due to all the vaccine nonsense. So, he should be around for the duration,” Kara said. “I still can’t believe she figured out about the undercover investigation. She must be way more psychic than she realizes. James was blown away when she sent him that text message about being concerned about the whole situation.”


“She is,” Merlin said. “She’s one of us and that amplifies any latent powers which are already on the high side. Her Merlin powers will serve her well.”


Jason and Roanna came into the room. Noah could see the resemblance between him and Jason. The couple looked actually giddy.


“We’ve made a decision, Merlin,” Jason said. “We’re going to move forward with the King Arthur legend like you suggested.”


“What do you mean?” Deacon asked.


“Faith and James need to stay in the present timeline. Jason and Roanna will fulfill their destiny. Jason had been in limbo previously and never encountered Roanna who died an early death originally. So there will be no timeline anomalies. They will look like they do now to us and themselves but to everyone else they will be Arthur and Mariann,” Merlin said.


“Okay, let's get moving on this new assignment,” Kara suggested. “Come on Detective Cornelius, we have work to do.”


***


Faith, Present Day


Everything has been pretty weird since Deacon left. They asked James to step up as interim pastor and he has been looking through all of Noah’s sermon notes. The man was an organizing maniac so there are at least a year's worth of sermons to draw from. I have become sort of like James’ sounding board, kind of like how James was for Deacon. The transition has been a little wild. That first Sunday after Deacon left was a bit awkward.


Strangely enough, we had a whole slew of police officers join the church which makes me feel a whole lot safer if anything were to happen inside the church walls.


James and I have been practicing an acoustic song he will play on the guitar and we will sing together. I am kind of getting my feet wet considering going back on stage to sing again. I think it’s time. Right now I am just stalling. It’s fear. I know it. Not of singing. That I am perfectly fine with. Lots of judgements go along with being on a team like that. I am not sure I’m ready to subject myself to that again. More power to anyone who can bear that particular burden. I’m still thinking about it. So right now me and James singing together seems the best option for me.


One of the new police detectives who joined is named Danny. Jax has his eye on him. After we broke up years ago, I guess Jax realized he was gay. Or maybe he already knew and didn't accept it. My first initial impression of him was that he might be gay. So I was kind of surprised when he wanted to date me. I think I was just the safe bet. I am not sure where Detective Danny rolls in a romantic sense but I feel like I need to warn him about Jax. The guy can be pretty intense when he is pursuing a new hot prospect.


Jax has been helping out a lot with the financial glitch. Turns out it was a third party vendor plus a church member causing all the problems.


I think there is a big police investigation going on but no one will tell me anything. I am perpetually in the dark when it comes to all the important stuff. Drives me bananas. The secrets around here are so loud sometimes. It is no wonder I eventually figure them out.



No comments: