Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Familiar Adversary - Episode 4


Part 4 - Betrayal of Trust

I couldn't scream, but the sound echoed in my mind. The hand clamped across my mouth smelled like the residue from what I could only imagine was a gun. And my mind raced with worst case scenarios of every type.

A man's hand slipped a bit allowing me to bite down on the inside of his palm. "God dammit! You bit me." The person yanked his hand back and threw me to the ground while he nursed his injury.

My heart beat in my chest like a jackhammer. The man had the advantage. He could take me out at any moment.

"You're more trouble than you're worth," he said. "If I didn't think your life was damn significant, I'd unleash Ethan on you."

The comment about Ethan had me reeling.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Who am I? Just an idiot who disobeyed a direct order and came back here to keep Octavia from killing you."

The man who had pulled me into the forest was none other than Kevin. I could see that now.
"Is she dead?"

"Hell no. I don't need that much paperwork," Kevin said. "I'm just glad I caught you before you ran into that cabin."

I didn't understand. "Why didn't you want me to go in there?"

"Because that is where Ethan and Michela are."

"How do you know?"

"See that SUV out front? It's Legacy-issued.

Kevin guided me away from the cabin and back to where he had parked his SUV. He told me we had to find shelter and I agreed. Not much thinking was going on in my brain at the moment. I was in shock.

"There was a bed and breakfast inn a few miles down the road. I know of a remote cabin we can hide out in for the night." It didn't take long to get there.

Once we were inside, Kevin issued the oddest order. "Take off your clothes."

"What?" I couldn't believe his brashness. I hadn't been here five minutes and he already wanted me naked? What kind of character had I created here?

"Exactly what I said. Take your clothes off." He began unbuttoning his shirt and shrugging out of it. I could only stand there and gawk. Confusion mottled my brain.

"I know my brother. Ethan might have put a tracer on one of us. I know how he works. He wouldn't have stopped at that cabin if he didn't think he could find us," Kevin explained. "So strip."

I was extremely not liking this idea. I needed my clothes. They were the only clothes I had, not to mention they were a security blanket, of sorts, especially when they were on. I pulled a long navy blanket around me before slipping out of my clothes one-by-one.

"What are you going to do with our clothes?"

"Get them as far away from us as possible."

He wrapped a towel around his waist, and ran out to the SUV. He came back holding two piles of clothes. "I had extras," he explained. "In the car."

How convenient for him.

"I doubt Ethan's pants will fit you, so I brought just the shirt."

He placed them on the bed, then sat on the couch next to me. His head fell backward. He looked drained. All of his thirty-three years, marked his face. But that didn't make him unattractive. When he relaxed and took that scowl off his face, he was actually handsome.

But I doubt he saw me in any sexually attractive way. He still believed I was the enemy, but his honor wouldn't allow his brother to kill me.

With his head back, his breathing evened out. I leaned across him to the bed to grab the black shirt. It looked like it would fit me all the way to my knees. I held the blanket closed with one hand while I reached with the other.

His eyes suddenly shot open, startling me. I lost my balance and reached to steady myself on the only available surface – his chest. In that instant, he moved and we both tumbled sideways on the couch. His towel inching up on his thighs and the blanket straining to keep my breasts from popping out. Our legs were tangled and my breath caught in my throat when he pulled me closer to keep us both from rolling to the ground.

I couldn't speak. I could only look at him and he looked at me. Neither of us moved. His palm was on my backside and my free hand was on his hip, the other was trapped beneath me. If he didn't continue to hold me, I would fall for sure.

Kevin's eyes didn't leave mine. That made me feel a little less embarrassed as I tried to pull up the blanket. I could feel his heart hammering in rhythm with mine.

"Not exactly the way I pictured this happening," Kevin whispered.

"You've thought about us... together?"

"Ever since I found out you were real... I couldn't help myself. The agency told me to keep tabs on you and send in my reports. I fictionalized them all, making you seem like you were where you weren't. I didn't want them to find you. I knew they might plan to kill you. Looks like I was right."

"Why did you lie about where I was?"

Kevin averted his eyes and I grabbed his chin. The movement nearly sent me careening to the floor, but his hand on my butt pushed me farther onto the couch and pressed me fully against him. I suddenly knew the reason Kevin had lied to keep me safe.

"Now you understand?"

"I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything."

My whole body felt like it was on fire. He kissed my cheek and my neck. My brain ceased to function. All I could do was feel. When his mouth claimed mine, I was returning the kiss. His towel slipped away along with the blanket covering me. Suddenly, it was covering us both and I felt his flesh against mine.

Suddenly, his PDA beeped, and a voice came over the walkie-talkie function. "Where are you?' the voice asked. "Remember what I said, use any means necessary to make her trust you."

Kevin growled as he reached for the PDA.

"That's not what you think."

"You're seducing me to gain my trust?" I struggled against him. "Let go of me. I can't believe you'd do that to me."

I reached for the lamp and smashed it across his head. He crumpled to the floor and I reached for the black shirt and raced to the door. There was no way I was staying here. I couldn't believe it.

As I ran down the street throwing the black shirt over my head, I could hear Kevin yelling. "It's not what you think, Toni. Come back!"

"Like hell," I said running as fast and as far as my bare feet would take me.

No comments: