Thursday, October 14, 2021

Chapter 7 - Faith - Opening Up



Chapter 7 - Faith - Opening Up


I am sitting in James' office cleaning up the various sermon notes we had strewn everywhere. I volunteered to stay and clean up. I really have nothing better to do. I think I must be on the verge of depression but I can hide it well from others, just not from myself. 

I am moving papers around and come across a photo of Noah and James when they stepped up as deacons.  I finger the image of Noah.  I miss him.  Nothing romantic ever happened between us but it didn't have a chance to.  When he was suddenly thrust into the pastor position after the time glitch, he had a lot to figure out. But he took to it like a duck to water. 

That is why  I can't believe any of the allegations against him. Its just not in his nature to be dishonest.  And the message from Hailey on his phone could have been about anything. Who am I to judge? I wish he would come back so I could show him I'm still standing by his side. 

That whole Arthur destiny thing between me and James seems silly. We don't have those sort of feelings for each other. If we are soul mates, it is the learning kind. I do learn a lot from him. How could I have feelings for James when Noah stole my heart long ago?

I jump a little when a knock comes at the door pulling me from my thoughts.  Danny Cornelius sticks his head through the opening. 

"James around?"

"No. You just missed him. He has farm duties he needs to take care of. I am just cleaning up," I say. "I can give you his phone number if you need to talk."

Danny is silent for a second. I feel like I am getting that detective perusal. It is kind of like that scanner on Star Trek that checks out the conditions of things before letting anyone step foot on the planet below. 

"Are you okay?" he asks. 

"Sometimes memory lane can be a bit rocky." He sat in the chair across from me. "I don't believe it, you know. Whatever you guys have on him."

Danny quirked an eyebrow. I looked away. That was an expression Noah used a lot. 

"You have a better explanation?"

"No. Just a feeling. I've had it for awhile. I just know its not Noah. Someone set him up. He spent weeks trying to find out what was happening with the financials. And Jeremy? You think a sweet kid like that would steal money from a church?"

"What is your intuition telling you?"

"I have no evidence but for a long time I have had this unsettling feeling about Nick Ransom. He's a former police officer. I am not sure what he does now. Something Internet based. I would look into him if I were you." I smiled. "Just a suggestion."

I wrote James' number on a post-it and handed it to the detective. "Thank you for being here. You and your men help make me feel safe. I haven't felt that way since Noah left. It's all just too unsettling." I give a humorless laugh. "Seems to be my favorite word right now."

I look away and shove a stack of papers into a folder and put them away in a nearby drawer. "Sorry for unloading on you like that. I am not one to usually share my feelings so openly."

"It's no problem. I am glad you feel safer with us here. Everyone has great things to say about the church. I wish I could have seen Noah preach."

"He is like the every man. Everyone can relate to him. He doesn't try to charm you with knowledge and try to impress you. He is real. He meets you where you are. And sometimes that is even better than any message he gives. As a person, he sees you, he notices you and you come away changed. He is a really special guy."

I wipe a tear from my eye and show Danny out. He had a strange expression on his face I couldn't read which was odd because i am good at reading everyone. 

No comments: